Making a picture book dummy (for writers)
One of the many storyboards I made for "Don’t Lick the Dog"
(Stick figures & blobs are all you need)
Does your story have what it takes?
• Does it have the 3 P’s? Pacing, page turns and pictures.
• What can be shown in the art to bring down word count?
• Does your text suggest a variety of illustrations?
• Where can your story be told by text alone?
• Is your story strong enough to carry a 32 page book?
• Where can you make surprising or less
than obvious page turns?
Making a picture book dummy (for writers) is a two-hour presentation-workshop. The first hour is a powerpoint presentation outlining what goes into making a pb dummy — and what your story will get from making one.
The second hour participants will make a storyboard from a manuscript, and begin working on a dummy.
A picture book is a marriage between art and words.
Wendy Wahman © 2019